Diagnostics


For me, and for the car.

Me: Eight blood tests later, my GYN called me with the results.  "You definitely have low progesterone," she told me. "Very low, actually."  (Interesting article here but just so you're not startled, there's a big ol' medical photo in the middle of it.)

Kind of a bummer and a relief at the same time, you know?  I didn't want something to be wrong with me, but really I knew something was and at least now that it's been identified we can move on to treatment.

I'm starting off with the doc's recommended progesterone supplement, taken in the latter half of my cycle.  It's being compounded at a pharmacy downtown and will be sent to me.  I also decided to go back to acupuncture because I think it will be complimentary, and the practicioners specialize in women's health.  I'm going Tuesday.  Basically, I just want to talk to somone and see what I can do to get myself back on track.  

The sooner the better--school's starting again soon, the wedding's not far behind, and just generally I can't wait to start feeling good. Really good.


The car: $400 later there are new brakes and an oil change.  My parents picked up the car for me as I'd been called in to the public library for coverage (horrible reason, I can't even go into it, just keep praying for the co-worker's family).  Dad gave me the receipt and under "Recommendations" it said "Left side cam seal, leaking oil."

Fantastic.  Things are just never-ending with this car.

The other reason the bill was so high was that I had the headlights sanded.  13-plus years of being outside had clouded up the headlights to the point that my mechanic said the visibility was starting to be compromised.  I believe it because I swear I've been cut off so many times in the past year I was starting to wonder if I was invisible.  Supposed to cost me 60 but I saw it was 80 on the receipt (grrr) but OH MY GOSH they are bright and shiny.

After I gave my mom back her car and took mine home, I parked in my usual area in the lot behind my building.  There were two boys on bikes, just tooling around (in the dark, I grumbled to myself, grateful I was able to see them with the brighter headlights).  As I crossed the lot to go up the steps to the building door, one of the kids buzzed by and then circled back.

"Nice car!  Is it, uh, used?"

"No, honey, it's pretty old," I replied without missing a beat.

Fending off the advances of what was starting to sound like Korean Eddie Haskell Notices a Lady Because She's Wearing a Skirt.

You might want to try working on your smoothness, kid.

 

.

Comments

ccr in MA said…
Well, I hope that having a diagnosis will be a positive step toward fixing things! Meaning you, not the car, though I suppose that too. It's all everything at once, isn't it? Hang in there.
Kate P said…
Sorry I was remiss in acknowledging your comment, CCR! I'm getting by. . . the car is still running (so far). . .

Popular Posts