My Week Might Have Peaked Already


Today, I took a road trip to Maryland with my parents to visit with my great-aunt, who is an 80-something nun residing in a retirement home for senior nuns in her religious community.  Her hearing and memory aren't terrific, but she never gets cross or frustrated.  In fact, she was pretty enthusiastic about trying on the new (plain blue) skirts Mom brought her--one of the main reasons for our visit--and was game for lunch out at the mall.  We even got her to taste dessert despite her initial protests.  

I know my mom was happy to be able to check in on her, and I got to see her digs for the first time since she moved there a couple years ago.  Her little room is decorated with Irish pride paraphernalia and a ton of family photos and mementos.  There's even a photo of Bunny in his "Kiss me, I'm Irish" outfit tacked to her mini-fridge.

But before all that went down, this morning The Cat convinced me to get up early. . . and then ignored me. . . leaving me time to sit down and write.  I actually worked on my novel for the first time in ages.  New ideas, too.  I put on a CD and just got it all down on paper.  Reviewed and revised a few older notes as well.  Now, I just need to figure out how to keep that momentum going.  (I have a horrible feeling it has to do with being relaxed, which is a rare state around here.)

Tomorrow?  An eye exam.  I can hardly stand the excitement.

  

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your great-aunt sounds so lovely! And yay for feeling novelishly inspired :) Hope the inspiration continues!!
ccr in MA said…
Try to pace yourself! Too much relaxation and accomplishment can be hard on your system.
Slauditory said…
How exciting that you're writing! I agree with you that being relaxed is a big part of writing easily and well. I always am most productive during an out-of-town vacation.

Also, thank you for reading my blog!
Slauditory said…
How exciting that you're writing! I agree with you that being relaxed is a big part of writing easily and well. I always am most productive during an out-of-town vacation.

Also, thank you for reading my blog!
Kate P said…
Angela--yeah, my great-aunt is really nice. (Very Irish!) I know a lot of people don't "get" why someone would want to be a nun, but it has suited her for many years now.
Still trying to keep up with the writing. . .

CCR--You may have a point there. And I'm still dealing with this upper back ache so I'm wondering how relaxed I actually am. (I can't seem to get anything right sometimes.)

Slauditory--sorry you went into moderation! Thanks for stopping by!

Popular Posts