Big Allergy Monday

At least, that's what I think it was. After spending most of yesterday helping my parents set up their new TV, DVD/VCR, etc., I felt my eyes start to bother me by the end of the day. I took out my contacts for the night, but then this big rash broke out on my shoulder. I don't know if it was the dust, the sweater I'd worn all day, or something I ate (Mom cooked brunch and sometimes thinks sneaking in a little butter won't hurt), but in spite of skin cream I was itchy all night and miserable when I woke up.

The only thing that could knock it out was a nice big dose of an antihistamine, but that meant I'd be knocked out, too. I figured it was better to be foggy at home than itchy and cranky at the kids in school.

Of course, by the time I'd made the decision, I'd missed the cutoff to enter my sick day on the website the school uses to manage absences. I tried calling the main office, but nobody was picking up. So I sobbed a little (because this was holding up my taking the antihistamine and I just plain felt bad) and then just e-mailed the other librarian. She e-mailed back that she was able to get hold of someone in the office, and advised me to call the administrator of the absence website, who would be in after 8 a.m.

By then, it was about 7:10. I took the antihistamine, set the alarm for 8:00, and went back to bed. When 8:00 arrived, I made a groggy phone call to the aforementioned administrator, got her voicemail, left what was probably a sleepy-sounding message, and went back to sleep.

The next time I opened my eyes, it was 11 a.m.

O.K., so I slept half the day away--which also makes me wonder if I had a tiny bit of a cold I'd been fighting--but the rash is gone. Hooray.

Now, if I could just get around to setting up my new TV (exact same setup as my parents' so it should take a lot less time), and actually putting a dent in my word count for NaNoWriMo, then I'd be in business.

But I think I'll just take it a day at a time.

Comments

ccr in MA said…
Yeah, take it easy! That much sleep sounds like you were fighting off something, for use. One step at a time. Feel better!
Unknown said…
Hate the weird allergic reactions to God-knows-what. And thank God for antihistamines, even though they make us drowsy.

...Have you tried benedryl gel on stuff like that? I haven't used it on myself, but got some for my daughter's roomie when she broke out in hives and it worked nicely with no sleepiness.
That was me - wrong Google ID.
Kate P said…
ccr--thank you! Hope you are feeling better, also.

Laura--I did try the Benadryl cream, but it did nothing. Maybe 'cause it expired last month?

Popular Posts