Should I?

They talked to me a little bit, asked me about where I first went to college (mostly because nobody's heard of it and the name suggests, I don't know, radical kinds of stuff).

Then they told me the salary and offered me the job.

I asked for the weekend to think (and pray) on it.

It's not that I don't think I can do the job, really, or that I would have a hard time fitting in at a private school.

It's just, um, well. . . let's just say that coming from one of the highest-paying school districts in the area, I had been preparing myself for taking a job that paid less, but- Wow. It's the kind of salary that would work for a single girl who still lived with her parents (no offense; it's just that I can't) or has housemates sharing the rent. And maybe didn't own a pet. And that's bumped up because they counted my 1/2 year at the public library as a full year of experience.

I really have to see if I can make it work.

Because--let's be honest here--I've got three places so far that wouldn't take me, one that didn't respond to my indication of interest, and another application in at a place that might take a look at me based on the fact that I did some name-dropping. I can't count on anything else's turning up after the 4th of July weekend.

This might be it.

Should I?

Could I?


Cullen said…
An income is better than no income, and just because you take one job doesn't mean you have to stop looking. I wish the offer was better, but I don't doubt that there will be greener pastures eventually.
ccr in MA said…
Oh, it's so hard! Yay for the offer, of course--it's nice to be wanted, isn't it?--but ouch for the fiscal reality.

I can't tell you what to do, and there probably isn't One Right Answer anyway. My advice is to take the numbers seriously, think about how you'd feel if you said yes and how you'd feel if you said no, and do what makes sense to you. And good luck!

(My word verification word is inturev, which sounds like Russian intuition. Do you know any Russians you could ask?)
Kate P said…
Cullen--that's what I'm leaning toward, the whole "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" idea.

CCR--yeah, I think I will be laying out out some numbers and taking a look. Any way I slice it, some things will have to be sacrificed, and not knowing if this job will be conducive to helping me forget about going home to nothing is anxiety-inducing.
Dave E. said…
I'm glad you got the offer, but it's too bad the salary isn't so hot. You were wise to ask for some time to think about it.

I guess I'm inclined to agree with Cullen, but is there any chance you can negotiate? I'm just 1-1 on that score so I'm not necessarily advocating it. It worked the first time, but the second time I tried it they withdrew their offer to me. I guess I offended them by asking for more. You never know how people will react.

At least you have the weekend to think things through. Don't forget to have some fun too. :)
I don't have any advice, Kate, you're the only one who can decide what's best for you. But thoughts and good wishes in any case.
Annie Coe said…
This is very hard. What does your gut say? I am one who trys to trust that all will work out and so it always does. I guess like Cullen says, you could take the job and keep looking. But I would not settle.
Angela Noelle said…
Oh dear, that's quite a decision. I'm sure you've mulled over it like crazy this weekend, and I can't wait to hear what you decide. Good luck!
Kate P said…
Dave--nah, not negotiable, but I'm hoping to hear about some perks. I did go see some fireworks on Saturday (and I don't mean my parents' fighting).

Ken S--Hey! Thanks for the support. :)

Annie--You got it. I am trying to trust that it will all work out and I will get whatever I need to make it work.

Angela--Welcome back from vacation! Thanks for the good wishes. . . the update is here.
Pammy pam said…
ok i'm totally the wrong person to ask (which you didnt but what the hell) but i've never met a job offer i didnt like.
p.s. i read your most recent post so i know you took the job. YAY!

Popular Posts