Time for an Upbeat Post

After miserable weather the last time I was on campus at my now-alma-mater, it was a really nice day today. I had to hoof it from the parking garage to Career Services, but I didn't have to ask for directions once, yay!

Met with the Career Services guy. He was very personable--a NY transplant (I thought I'd heard an accent on the phone)--and full of information. He very nicely told me my resume' needed work, told me I was on the right track with what I was doing, and gave me a ton more information and things to do.

His opinion was to take the part-time public library job, to get some experience in, while doing "informational interviews" (talk to school librarians and administration to find out more about the field and possible positions). IOW, networking. I wouldn't have to do much to get the network growing.

Just gotta fix up that resume' first. I thought objectives were a thing of the past, but he felt strongly that I should have one on there. They always seemed so lame to me. Any thoughts?

So I left there feeling somewhat better for having spilled all my post-graduation experiences and concerns. Still processing all the advice, but that's O.K. I'll have time while I'm sitting at the bookstore tomorrow night with nothing to do because the snow kept everyone home, ha ha.

After the meeting, I finally got to the school bookstore and got myself some alumni swag: an official hoodie and a decal for my car! (Someday when I have money to throw around I am so getting that "alumni license plate" for my car.) A chivalrous student helped me reach the hook to put back the decal I decided against. The student working the checkout congratulated me on my graduation. Whaddya know, there are some decent students on campus!

So it turned out to be a pretty good day. I'm annoyed with the weather forecast, but at this point I probably should be used to the snow. Man, what an abrupt about-face from the weather today, though.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get a Bachelorette Kitchenette post up. Stay tuned!

.

Comments

Dave E. said…
I've used a short objective to start with on mine and I kind of liked that when I was looking for new employees. It's been a long time since I've sent one out though, so I'm not sure what is "in" these days.
Lizzie said…
I like the idea of objectives, but HATE writing them. Mine always sound so stupid.

Also? Three cheers for Career Services people. So helpful even if it's just to get your own goals clear in your head.
Lizzie said…
I like the idea of objectives, but HATE writing them. Mine always sound so stupid.

Also? Three cheers for Career Services people. So helpful even if it's just to get your own goals clear in your head.
Cullen said…
I feel for you. I haven't had to write a resume in a long time. Most gov't service has a set - form-like resume system that's a lot easier to deal with than creating your own and hoping it meets what an employer wants.
Kate P said…
Dave--yeah, that was pretty much the CS guy's feeling, that he liked seeing it on there.

Lizzie--that's exactly it; I feel mine sound stupid. And redundant. And LAME!!! But you're right, it was good talking to someone who could confirm I wasn't totally going off course.

Cullen--like a template or something? That's not bad. It was almost a relief filling out an application at the bookstore and using my resume' as a supplement. Why can't they all be like that?

Popular Posts