Um, I Started a Job Today?

After the verbal offer I got on the phone on Saturday from the Youth Services librarian, the plan was to meet Monday (today) afternoon to talk. They haven't gotten a formal offer letter and all the other paperwork from HR yet, and probably won't get them by Monday, so just come in to talk.

I said O.K., see you then. . . and then threw myself into the Mac crisis for the rest of the weekend. Didn't check my school e-mail account (which I keep forgetting to take off my resume'; it's not my most frequently checked account, mostly because it's a pain).

So this afternoon, I walk into the library and head right for the Youth Services librarian's desk. She greets me and then asks me if I got her e-mail. I said no, what did I miss? And she just says that's all right. . .

. . . then starts showing me around the library and introducing me to everyone on staff.

As the new young adult librarian.

Needless to say, the next two hours were surreal. And I am getting paid for those two surreal hours.

I got handed a schedule of events, a W-4 to fill out, and a list of office contacts. She asked if I had any questions, and I said not at the moment--I needed to take some time to sort all the information out.

Like, when exactly did we ever discuss my starting today?

I don't think I'll ask that question when I go in on Wednesday. Or the other question I keep asking myself: What the h*** am I doing?

Immediately after getting out of there, I took care of the errands I'd planned to do after what I thought was a 1/2 hour "talk," just to avoid thinking about what had just happened. When I got home, I had to see that e-mail she'd referenced. There it was, about an hour after we'd talked on the phone, an e-mail saying how excited she was that I was coming on board, and--get this--she assumed I wouldn't have a problem with accumulating hours before the paperwork was in. (Actually, I do--but what's done is done, I guess.)

I haven't even broached the subject with the bookstore yet, but now I guess I'm going to have to. We'll see what happens.

I really want to be happy about this. But right now I have to admit that I am stunned.

I've never been broadsided by an employer before.



Comments

Lizzie said…
Wha...? That's awesome, except for the part about not having a clue what was going on and not being in control... But other than that! It sounds like a super fun job- I can't wait to hear more about it!
Lindsay said…
Whoa. You were pretty much just kidnapped by an employer. That's...really weird.
Amy Giglio said…
that's very...odd.

Keep looking.
Kate P said…
Lizzie--yeah, I'm hoping once I get my bearings it will be fun.

Lindsay--that's a good way of putting it!

Amy--right, I don't see this as a long-term thing for me. Particularly b/c it's only PT and I have bills to pay.
Dave E. said…
It may only be temporary, but congrats. If nothing else it gives you experience and the fact that it is only part-time is a reason that any prospective employer will understand for why you are still looking.
Kate P said…
Dave--thanks, and thank you for pointing that out about the "still looking" part. I am getting the impression from one of my co-workers who is good friends with my mom that the director pushed to bring me on and didn't care if I continued to look. Fine by me.

Popular Posts