Video Store Withdrawal

I went to return some movies at the video store today after school, and as I drew near to the store windows, I saw tons of signs:


Everything must go! Used movies $9.99 or less! Store closing!



Ummmm--what?????

So I walk in, drop my movies in the return slot, and approach the counter where my favorite semi-goth salesclerk is standing.

Me: So. . . you're closing?

Her: Yeah, January.

Me: But you're not still renting anything now?

Her: No. Actually, Sunday was our last rental day.

Me: Hmm. Nobody mentioned that last week when I was in. [That was last Tuesday.] Well, I'm sorry you're closing.

Her: Yeah, our store was too big.

Me: Are they relocating you to another store?

Her: Yes, but I don't know which one yet.

Me: Well, at least I work near [another location].

Her: They're closing that one, too. They're closing all the big ones.

Me: Man. . . I used to do leasing for that shopping center. [My old work is probably not happy--they lost a huge office supply store from the same shopping center last year, and to date I don't think they've leased it again.]

I wished her the best of luck--and I was glad it seemed she was keeping her job.

This is a bummer. The only locations "near" me remaining are one suburban store and two just over the Philly border. They're all about 15-20 minutes away. I'm not really interested in Netflix, my local library branch is closing for renovations at the end of November. . . Rats.

Comments

Cullen said…
Netflix is awesome. It may not be great for picking up something on a whim, but it's fantastic for getting obscure movies. Coming home and having a movie waiting in the mail is nice too. The best thing, though, is the play-it-now feature.

Still, it's sad to see the stores closing. It's only a matter of time. Everything's going to be streaming pretty soon.
Mr. Bingley said…
Netflix is pretty schweet, I have to say.
ccr in MA said…
I am curious what you don't like about the idea of Netflix. I'm not saying you have to love it, though I love it ... but I am curious why.

If you want to try it, um, by Saturday? I have a free month trial thing I can give you. Let me know.

Anyway, sorry about the situation!
Annie Coe said…
I like you, keep avoiding Netflix, my reason is that soon we will have no reason to leave our houses :-). I like talking to a real person. However, given your situation I might give it a whirl.
Kate P said…
Cullen & Bingley--yeah, I agree with you about finding obscure movies. I just don't want a recurring charge on my credit card. And, I like to browse. REALLY browse.

CCR--thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to think on it a bit more. I know my sister has an account so I'm going to ask her about it.

Annie Coe--yeah, I think you are on to something, that human contact is part of it. And maybe also picking up the movies and looking at them.

Popular Posts