I Gotta Crow

The blunt/meanie professor from my earlier post might have redeemed herself (at least for all the embarrassment during our last course together) when she posted a response on the boards to the written assignment I'd posted:


"As an experienced school librarian I am impressed with your intuitive
understanding of the dynamics of that setting as a classroom. Your ability to adapt your methodology based upon an analysis of your learners is commendable."

Update to explain what I wrote for my assignment: We're required to respond to a portion of our reading and relate it to experiences to support our agreement or disagreement with the selection. Well, I don't currently work in the education field, but I train people at work, so I related a part about cultural background differences to my difficulties with training Slacker Girl. I was trying to review a procedure with her by asking her questions, and she kept getting more and more agitated with me. Our readings said that in her cultural background, "Questions between older children and adults involve straightforward requests for information, not. . . for parents to drill children on topics to which the parents already know the answers." (from How People Learn) Of course I didn't mention her slacker attitude and blamed entirely my, well, lack of sensitivity to her cultural background. This seems to excite people in academia and I don't quite understand why. In any event. . .

Woohoo! I don't think the one I did this week was as good, but I'm still coming back from being sick as a dog all last week. At least I'm starting to remember all the appropriate articles; last week I caught myself leaving out "the" and "a" all over the place. Maybe I channel a foreign language when I'm sick. And now, to bed with my recovering, intuitive self.

Comments

Mr. Bingley said…
...blamed entirely my, well, lack of sensitivity to her cultural background. This seems to excite people in academia and I don't quite understand why.

Oh my, that sort of talk very much excites academics. My poor Bride can tell you alllll types of tales about those kind of kow-towing.
Haha! See, you OBVIOUSLY rock.

Now everyone knows it.
Kate P said…
Bingley--There's actually something sort of comforting about knowing this obvious sort of thing. I remarked not too long ago that I preferred to be in academia because all their politics are on the table, and I know to expect it. I'm sick of being surprised in the corporate culture.

Ashley--you are far too kind. Now excuse me while I make ten dozen copies of your comment and paste them everywhere in my home. :)

Popular Posts