If It's Time to Register for Classes. . .

. . . you better believe I'm banging my head on my laptop.

Now what???

I have one--ONE!--course to take this Fall. We students register ourselves online. A far cry from standing in line with a printout in my hand at the Student Center at my undergrad alma mater, and a super-far cry from submitting a handwritten form at my first college.

First I check my status--fine, all set to register August 4. Today. Then on the next screen I have to "look up classes"--choose a subject (Information Science, natch), and. . . well, I don't really need to narrow it down further because I know the course number. I've been staring at it for two years. So I hit "search" and--SURPRISE!--it's not on the list. Arrrrgh.

The next set of steps are always the same: try several different searches, grind teeth as the course still does not show up. E-mail advisor--who is my former advisor because the one I was assigned four months ago is on maternity leave--and pray she has the answers and the patience to give me said answers.

In the meantime, I will be busying myself with a trip to my local Representative's office. I called today to discuss the fact that certain reports about my background (or lack thereof) were incorrect, and they contacted their liaison, who asked to see everything via fax. There goes my lunch break, but it's worth it if the mistakes can get turned around without my having to resubmit everything. Not to mention pay the fees again, too.

But it would've been so much nicer if things had gone smoothly the first time. Is that too much to ask?

Oh--wait, wait, wait. WAIT. You're not gonna believe this. I was about to hit "publish" when, out of curiosity, I went into my registration backwards by going to the add/drop area. . . and apparently I am already enrolled in my course. Who did that??? And could she at least have let me know, so I could have avoided the hyperventilation and panicked e-mails?

Resume head-banging.



This post has been brought to you by the indifferent administration of Skrew U.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Don't you just looove registration.
We register very early for fall. I think I was able to around the first of June. A friend of mine in the school of Psychology here had to get used to the grad registration process here. They register all grad students in each program together. He's also finishing up his BS in Computer Science, so he had to wait until he was registered for his grad classes to schedule his UG classes. He was not a happy camper.
Kate P said…
It grows on me like ringworm. You'd think by this time they'd have figured out a way to streamline the process, especially at a school that prides itself on being so innovative, but nooooooo. My interim advisor e-mailed me and said, "Oh, yeah, I registered you yesterday." Um, thanks for the notice? Hopefully this is my last time doing this--unless I ever go back for more punishment!
Lindsay said…
Ugh. I'm starting grad school in the fall, and I haven't yet been emailed about registering for classes. I'm starting to get uber nervous about it. Granted, I'm not sure what I'm going to take yet for the fall, although I do have possibilities. I need to find out who is going to be my advisor and talk to him about it to see what he thinks. Thankfully (or not, depending), I don't get a say in what classes I take in the spring, so no real nervousness there. Phew. :o) Glad everything worked out for you!
Kate P said…
Classes go in quarters here--I think that's why registration is earlier, Lindsay. I hope you get a great advisor!

Popular Posts